Friday, August 19, 2011

Life Is Like...Water

Prior to my gastric bypass, I walked everyday for a whole year.  Yep, everyday, kinda like a postal worker but without the paycheck.

I always had a bottle of water with me everywhere I went, it was glued to my hand.  And boy was it a bitch when I had to rip it off!

Any who, after said surgery I had an extremely serious complication that required emergency surgery.  Oh, joy.

After the surgery my arms were restrained because I was trying to rip out the numerous thingies I was hooked up to.  I won’t even get into the whole restrained thing, let’s just say it wasn’t my first time, wink wink.

I also had a tube down my throat and I couldn’t speak, lucky Joe.  As always, he was by my side thru the whole thing.  I truly put him thru hell, not like usual because this time I wasn’t even trying.

I remember laying in the bed being so thirsty that my mouth felt like the Sierra desert!  Unable to speak I thought I’d use my version of sign language, I made a W with my hands hoping he’d get the hint.  But I didn’t know my hands were restrained so it looked like I was pointing.  What was I pointing at?  My pee bag.  Told ya I was connected to every medical devise known to man (and woman).

All Joe would say is that it was ok to pee (as I had a catheter).  So I repeated and repeated and repeated the W and his response was always the same, it’s ok to pee.  In one sense he was damn lucky I was restrained or I would have strangled him.  Now it’s funny when we talk about it, not so much at the time believe me!

Okay, okay, enough about me.  Although it is my blog so maybe not, guess you’ll just have to stay tuned to find out what’s up.

Our water is, well, in one word, shitty.  That is unless you like hard water that smells like a rotten eggs, but I think not.

All of our drinking water is filtered, we aren’t great fans of the whole rotten egg thing.  Actually it only smells after a rain, who knows why but it does.  Someone can tell me the scientific explanation for it but I really don’t care why, ‘cuz knowing why won’t stop it.  That is unless I could stop the rain and that ain’t happening either. 

I’m trying to drink more water and iced tea.  The two water filters we have are basically going non-stop.  Can’t speak for Joe but I’m pretty sure that he realizes that we are blessed.  Blessed to have clean drinking water as so many people don’t.

Perhaps you’ve seen women with giant thingies on their head carrying water on top of their heads.  They may walk for miles, each way, just to get filthy water to drink.  Chances are it’s contaminated with numerous nasty-ass germs but it’s the only water they have access to.

Yes, we are supposed to reach out.  To help those all across the world get clean drinking water, but personally, I feel that we should take care of those in the good ol’ U.S. of A. first.

Don’t get me wrong, if you support other countries, great (and good for you!) after all they need clean water too, but that’s my view on the whole situation.

Sad to say that in this great country there are those without clean drinking water.  Although they may not carry the big ass containers on their heads they don’t have clean water.  Some don’t even have running water in their homes.  That is if they are blessed enough to have homes.

I usually research everything that I write about, I’m a stickler for getting the facts straight, just ask Joe.  But if you feel moved to help those without clean water just do a Google search.  Make sure they are actually using the money to help those people and not pad their own pockets. 

A good place to start would probably be the Red Cross (they provide water and other necessities after a disasters here at home and all across the world).  I’m not going to chastise you if you don’t do anything.  I know these are tough times, but there are free things you can do to help.  Next time yer in Marquette, stop at MGH Blood Center and give a pint of blood. 

Now back to me, during my emergency surgery I lost four or so pints of blood, I wouldn’t be here boring you if it wasn’t for the selfless, nameless, strangers that took time out of their busy schedule to give a pint.

And how did I celebrate my successful surgery?  Let’s just say it was with a pint.  And I’m not talking about blood, wink wink.

No comments:

Post a Comment